The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) is a procedure to allow pet cats and dogs entry to the UK without quarantine, or people in the UK who have taken their pets outside the UK can bring pets back without quarantine.
Please note that the scheme only applies to certain countries using certain routes of travel and all animals must meet the very strict rules of the scheme which can take over 7 months to complete.
Please note that this page gives only a short summary of some of the rules. For a complete set of up-to-date rules please visit the DERFA web-site using the following link: click here for the DEFRA web site.
To bring your animal into the UK under PETS from one of the qualifying countries you must carry out the following procedures in the order shown:
- Have your pet microchipped - with a Europe ISO Standard microchip
- Have your pet vaccinated - against rabies this cannot be administered until your pet is 3 months of age. You will need boosters to the vaccine every 3 years. You can travel to most european countries 21 days after the vaccination
- You no longer need to have a blood test done, UNLESS you are going to certain non European countries such as Australia.
- Get a Passport. This can be issued by Mark Nelson at the surgery.
- Treatment against tapeworm - between 1 - 5 days before you RETURN to the UK. This can be done by any Veterinary Surgeon in the country you are in, and has to be filled in, in the Passport. The date AND time need to be recorded.
- Certain Countries have additional regulations for example, some of the Nordic countries insist on Tapeworm medication before entering their country. - see the DEFRA web-site
- It is the owners responsibility to make sure their pet is compliant with the regulations and we would urge clients to check with the website each time before they travel abroad, just in case the regulations have been changed
WARNING: Any pet which does not meet the requirements of the scheme will be returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine.
We can carry out the Passport procedures. Please contact us or drop in for details.